A spiritual descendant of the original PENNY DREADFUL story set in Victorian-era London, PENNY DREADFUL: CITY OF ANGELS opens in 1938 Los Angeles, a time and place deeply infused with social and political tension. When a grisly murder shocks the city, Detective Tiago Vega (Daniel Zovatto) is embroiled in an epic story that reflects the rich history of Los Angeles: from the building of the city's first freeways and its deep traditions of Mexican-American folklore, to the dangerous espionage actions of the Third Reich and the rise of radio evangelism. Before long, Tiago and his family are grappling with powerful forces that threaten to tear them apart. PENNY DREADFUL: CITY OF ANGELS explores an exciting mix of the supernatural and the combustible reality of the period, creating new occult myths and moral dilemmas within a genuine historical backdrop. This chapter is a bold new vision that will employ all new characters and storylines.
- Penny Dreadful: City of Angels was ordered to series on November 1, 2018 by Showtime.
- Production is set to start this spring with a premiere date of sometime later this year or early 2020.
- Thanks to tax credits from the state of California, the series, which was initally set to film in Dublin, Ireland, will film in Los Angeles. Penny Dreadful: City of Angels has conditionally received $24.7 million as a relocating series under the Golden State's $330 million annual incentives program.
- John Logan (creator/executive producer)
- Paco Cabezas (director)
- Sam Mendes (executive producer)
- Pippa Harris (executive producer)
- Michael Aguilar (executive producer)
- James Bagley (executive producer)